The Miami Downtown Development Authority has taken the first steps to getting cars off the roads and make life in Downtown Miami more pedestrian friendly. They have launched a month-long installation as part of the Biscayne Green initiative to redesign the medians and parking lots on Biscayne Boulevard between SE 1st Street and NE 6th St. The installation will remain through January 26 and is funded by the Knight Foundation and The Miami Foundation. A long-term proposal includes eliminating 2 lanes in each direction in order to build more landscaped pedestrian and biking paths. The city would aim to relocate the street parking and the city is currently performing a "Lane Elimination Analysis."
“Downtown Miami has experienced a nearly 150 percent increase in population over the past 15 years, with the majority of these new residents falling between the ages of 20 and 44. This young demographic overwhelmingly favors public transit over traffic, connectivity and public space over sprawl, and community experiences over material accumulation.” - Alyce Robertson, Miami DDA Executive Director
Events for the Biscayne Green Temporary Installation Through January 26:
- Biscayne Green Grand Opening Get-Down (January 6 from 7 – 10 p.m) - Celebrate the grand opening of Biscayne Green with handcrafted cocktails, live music and art.
- Biscayne Screen with O Cinema (January 8, 15, and 22 from 6 – 10 p.m) - Watch movies cuddled up on the Green with free blankets, popcorn and empanadas.
- Out of Office – Coffee + Wifi (January 11, 18, 25 from 9 – 11 a.m) - Enjoy the fresh air and fuel up for the day with coffee and snacks.
- Baila on Biscayne (January 12, 19 from 7 – 10 p.m) - Enjoy al fresco music, dancing and people watching.
- Taste of Downtown (January 14 from 6 – 10 p.m.) - Enjoy a taste of downtown with specialties from some of the area’s hottest culinary masters.
- Brunch on the Green (January 15, 22 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.) - Sip on mimosas and nibble on brunch offerings from local foodie hotspots.